Support for Kids at Risk (S.K.A.R.) is a youth-focused education program designed to inform youth and service providers about the consequences of criminal and anti-social behavior.
This program was created by the Hispanic Americans for Progress self-help inmate group at New Jersey State Prison with the assistance of clinically-trained volunteers. It is facilitated by Cuqui Rivera, LPOANJ’s recording secretary.
Program objectives are achieved through a workshop which addresses a number of factors associated with at-risk/high risk youth. Attendees are shown a video in which inmate participants provide candid accounts of how their life experiences and mistakes led them to prison. Their message of deterrence is then reinforced through a presentation by workshop leaders who focus on ways in which communities can initiate dialogues with today’s youth, including educating them about juvenile laws and the consequences of violating them.
- Join us
- Become a member and join us in taking an active role in our community.
- Check us out
- View pictures from various activities and chapter-sponsored events.
- Your tax-deductible donations will help us achieve our objectives.
- Join our mailing list and stay up-to-date on our news and activities.
- Get some great LPOANJ gear and show off your association.
- NLPOA web site
- Visit the national organization’s site.